Saturday, January 12, 2008

Job Security


Greetings gentle readers,
I saw patients yesterday for the first time this year at a great hospital. I had a horrible case that I will will never forget involving a kindergarten teacher. Tune in next week for that one.
Right now I want to give "Thanks" for obesity.
"Self indulgence is the product of prosperous society" I paraphrase one writer who tips the scales over 350 pounds.
As a Sonographer, I say it is job security. How many times are we called to the ED to R/O DVT, or gallstones in the obese? We may grumble, but it pays the mortgage. The following link describes one person's latest diatribe about the greatness of being obese.
WASHINGTON (AFP) - As adult obesity balloons in the United States, being overweight has become less of a health hazard and more of a lifestyle choice, the author of a new book argues.
Burps... Gimme a break
"Obesity is a natural extension of an advancing economy. As you become a First World economy and you get all these labor-saving devices and low-cost, easily accessible foods, people are going to eat more and exercise less," health economist Eric Finkelstein told AFP."
As a sonographer, I know that part of my job is taking care of the obese. I never council people on their eating habits because that is not my job. I must point out that from an ergonomic point of view, treating the obese is a challenge to my aging body. The techniques of imaging the "TDS" patients are much different from other studies. We all groan when reading the height and weight of a patient on a request: 380 pounds, 5'1", and wish we could slap that request back in the box.
Never you mind though, as the post says, obesity is here to stay. I call it job security.
Peace,
Gizz

No comments: