Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sonographer Question Answered: Editorial

I was on the Yahoo echocardiography group today looking at stuff, and I noticed a question that was posted to the group.

I will post the question from an anonymous person:

There is a book being sold on eBay with the title 'Performing echocardiographic studies using machines of Major Manufacturers'.
In the description it is written that the book describes working with 11 different US machines. Has anybody used this book, is it a good book? As I am new in echo I think it can be very helpful for me.

thanks


Thank you for the question.

Here is what I wrote back.  Please do not call me an Archie Bunker, but I really feel that a sonographer must be one with the machine.  It truly take a few moments to know the equipment to do the job.

"Sounds like a book that I would not buy.  As a sonographer of 34 years, I find the ultrasound machines of most manufacturers come with operations manuals that most people put in cabinets next to gloves and T-spray bottles.  Most ultrasound machines can be mastered in doing a couple of examinations on real patients when they are booked heavy and furious.  Most people who are new to ultrasound shudder at seeing all the buttons.  A firm understanding of ultrasound physics and knobology can go a long way towards mastering even the most arcane ultrasound machine.  Granted, an new machine can intimidate even seasoned sonographers, but playing with the machine can bring helpful insights to work flow, and wonderfully diagnostic images.  Now PACS is another animal completely.  Pacs is where I have problems. The transfer of images to a work group is always a challenge to the Per-Diem sonographer.  It is helpful to have the PACS ADMIN or another knowledgeable person on site when learning to transfer images to the PACS.  Peace, TJW"

Dedication to the art of ultrasound is job one.  Knowing a machine is part of the process.

No comments: