Saturday, February 9, 2013

Prenatal Ultrasound and Hearing

I have an interesting article to share.  I am not sure about it, because I have not seen any white papers on it.  But we are on the mend (From pneumonia and the flu.  My son and wife caught it)  so I will continue to blog.  Seems a study is underway that measures hearing on babies who were subjected to ultrasound during pregnancy.  First, before I post the link, I would like to thank www.Sonoworld.com for great and free information.  This stuff is great, and sometimes I am a parrot with cross-posts. But we all need to know great news in the ultrasound community  Most of us Sonographers know the audible range of hearing is between 20 and 20,000 Hertz.  As a musician, I have suffered hearing loss to some extant.  I can still listen to Mozart and Genius with few problems.  Thank's all for visiting and please add me to your links.  BTW  the picture is Yours Truly.  20 points to Griffindor if you can tell me where this real picture was taken 7 years ago.  Bless you all who have linked up.  Forgive me for the lack of posts, I have enjoyed the company of many health care providers in the past few weeks as a teacher.  That is my job.  Long days.. Full of fun.  BTW  There is a story behind this photo.  To be continued......



Objective

Prenatal ultrasound exams have become increasingly frequent. Although no serious adverse effects are known, the public health implications would be enormous should adverse effects on auditory development be shown. This study looks to establish a possible correlation between hearing loss and increased prenatal ultrasound exposure.

Design

Retrospective cohort analysis.
Setting: Tertiary academic referral center.

Results

A higher number of both total and 3rd trimester ultrasound exams as well as a younger gestational age at birth were all found to be significantly associated with a higher likelihood of passing the newborn hearing screen (p<0 .001="" each="" factors="" for="" found="" no="" other="" p="" reach="" significance.="" statistical="" to="" were="">

Conclusions

Our results show that there is no correlation between a higher level of prenatal ultrasound exposure and hearing loss. Indeed, infants who had more prenatal ultrasounds in the third trimester were more likely to pass their screening hearing exams. The finding that children receiving more prenatal ultrasounds have a higher likelihood of passing newborn hearing screens serves as an excellent reminder of the classic statistics rule that correlation does not imply causation.
Link from www.sonoworld.com



No comments: